Friday, May 7, 2010

The Dobler Effect

“I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.”

Ring a bell? Remember the movie Say Anything staring John Cusack as Lloyd Dobler, the young impetuous, angst ridden high school senior who’s hopelessly in love with Diane Court, the school valedictorian who is WAY out of his league? These famous lines are spouted in quick succession by Lloyd while getting the first degree from Diane Court’s over protective father. Like me, you might have even tried (albeit inaccurately) to use the quote yourself when asked what you want to do when you grow up. It’s funny but when I read this quote it rings as true to me now as it did back in 1989. In fact, it has even more meaning considering that without even thinking about it, I’ve lived it. For instance, I’ve never sold anything, bought anything, or processed anything as a career. As a bartender, I sell booze which is processed I guess but I think Lloyd would give me a pass on that one.

Actually… when I think about it…bartending is a perfect example of what Lloyd didn’t want to do. The liquor industry is a huge business! Multimillion dollar companies are behind liquor and they spend millions of dollars on advertising to make sure we buy their products--so when you walk in to your local bar you’ll sit down and ask for a Jack Daniels, or a Grey Goose, or a Budweiser. Me? I’m just peddling their products and making them richer. And for what? What has Grey Goose ever done for me? The self-made billionaire, Sidney Frank, started Grey Goose back in 1997 then sold the brand to the Bacardi Company in 2004 for 2.2 BILLION dollars. Estimated profit to Mr. Frank? $1.6 billion. Unbelievable right? It’s enough to make you scream. I mean, it’s just vodka for chrissakes! As it turns out, the old codger died in January of 2006 allowing him only two years to enjoy his fortune which proves the old adage—you can’t take it with you.

I think Lloyd would appreciate this freelance writing venture I’m attempting. The information comes out of my head, and I write it on the page. It is pretty organic right? Nothing processed—just my ideas in black and white.

It sure beats bartending or walking around in an overcoat hoisting a boom box over my head which is playing Peter Gabriel songs.

2 comments: